How to Look and Sound Confident When you Pitch
- Guest Post
- Dec 05, 2019
1. Do your homework.
Have a rock-solid understanding of the problem, your customer/market, your value proposition, the business model. Be prepared for all the standard questions. Know your key numbers.
2. Your goal is to get another meeting.
Don’t put unnecessary time pressure on yourself to say everything. You want to spark interest.
3. Smile and eye contact with the audience,
4. Self-fulfilling body language
It has an effect on the image you project and on how you feel, too. Articulate with hand gestures and don’t fidget. Breathe.
– On stage: Stand up straight, don’t slouch. Walk-in with energy. Walk around the stage confidently.
– In a private meeting, sitting: sit back in the chair, shoulders relaxed. Feet on the ground or cross legs comfortably.
Practice and get feedback on this. Repeat.
5. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Nothing relieves performance anxiety better than the knowledge that you could even deliver the pitch half asleep.
By Balazs Slezak
Balázs Slezák ENGINEER, SERIAL ENTREPRENEUR, STARTUP MENTOR
Balázs has 10+ years of experience in running technology companies in Hungary, Chile and the UK. He was the co-founder of Forma Eyewear (acquired in 2018). He is currently leading Wozify, an engineering firm building hardware, and software products for startups. He also serves as a mentor at Hiventures, helping early-stage startups with value proposition design, product development, and technology strategy.
For more: Wozify.